nanog mailing list archives

Re: Should Netflix and Hulu give you emergency alerts?

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 19:02:47 -0700

On 3/11/19 6:57 PM, William Herrin wrote:
On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 6:25 PM Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com <mailto:mike () mtcc com>> wrote:
> This entire thing strikes me as a horrible layering violation. Why on
> earth should alerts be required to dogleg through content providers?
>
> It seems to me that it would be much better to use the standards we
> already have to deliver text, voice and video, and just make it a
> requirement that some list of devices must be able to listen for these
> announcements and act accordingly.

Hi Mike,

What;'s the plan then? Establish a multicast path throughout my backbone for the emergency alert messages and pray none of them loop back in to my system to create a storm? If my $30 home firewall receives a multicast message on the proper port it should rebroadcast it inside? What could go wrong!

Wide area multicast sucks dude. That's why we have video dogleg its way through content delivery networks in the first place.

While multicast would be advantageous, it's hardly required. Brute force and ignorance (= unicast) would work too.

And yeah, maybe you need to alert all of the "viewable" devices unless you have some way of detecting what I'm paying attention to.

Mike