nanog mailing list archives

Re: NTP for ASBRs?

From: Royce Williams <royce () techsolvency com>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2019 23:23:18 -0800

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 11:12 PM Eric S. Raymond <esr () thyrsus com> wrote:

Chris Adams <cma () cmadams net>:
Once upon a time, Royce Williams <royce () techsolvency com> said:
The La Crosse 404-1235UA-SS UltrAtomic (not affiliated, just a fan)
tracks
DST - and even leap seconds. They have much better reach than previous
similar clocks.

Looks like somebody finally brought a clock to market that uses the
new-format phase-modulated signal.  Hopefully there'll be more, but with
the WWVB funding threats, I wouldn't be surprised if companies don't
want to invest in any new products that use it.

Interesting - first device I've heard of that uses the new-format
fine modulation, and as NTPsec's tech lead I keep as close an eye on such
developments as anybody.

Before this I had thought that a combination of clock vendors feeling
burned by
the modulation change and cheap GPSes entirely killed the market for
devices that
can get high-precision time from WWBV.

Anybody know of anything fitting that description that you might want
to deploy in a data center as a Stratum 1? If such a creature exists I
shall
contrive to get my lunch hooks on one and write a driver for it.

That would be fantastic. I mentioned it on Freenode when it first came out
- but it may have escaped your attention. :)

An eBay search for "EverSet ES100 WWVB BPSK Phase Modulation Receiver Kit"
should prove fruitful. I have one - but I haven't had time to tinker with
it yet.

The kit comes with the double-antenna setup that appears to be key to the
improved reception. In the clocks, the antennas are at 90 degrees relative
to each other.

Royce