nanog mailing list archives

Re: PSA: change your fedex.com account logins

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2019 10:18:05 -0400

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 01:17:19PM +0000, Richard wrote:
When I have looked into this type of issue for my unique addressing
some did trace back to back-end db hacks (e.g., adobe), but I found
that the most likely culprit was the 3rd-party bulk mailer that
handled the organization's marketing mail. It could be a non-zeroed
disk thrown into the trash or an inside job, but it almost always
traced back to one or two bulk mailing companies.

FYI, I've been running numerous experiments in this area for many years
using unique non-guessable non-typo'able addresses.  Explaining the
results in full would take many pages, so let me summarize: 3rd party
bulk mailers leak like sieves.  "How?" remains an open question: could be
that they're selling, could be that they have security issues, could be
that insiders are selling on their own, could be any number of things:
it's really not possible to say.  But they are unquestionably leaking.
This is hardly surprising: many of them are spammers-for-hire, many of
them use invasive tracking/spyware, and none of them actually care in
the slightest about privacy or security -- after all, it's not *their*
data, why should they?

Which are some of the many reasons that outsourcing your mailing lists
is a terrible idea, doubly so when it's quite easy to run your own with
Mailman (or equivalent).

---rsk