nanog mailing list archives

Re: NTP question

From: James R Cutler <james.cutler () consultant com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2019 15:07:41 -0400

On May 2, 2019, at 2:44 PM, Harlan Stenn <stenn () nwtime org> wrote:

On 5/2/2019 9:13 AM, James R Cutler wrote:
On May 2, 2019, at 10:59 AM, William Herrin <bill () herrin us
<mailto:bill () herrin us>> wrote:

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 7:03 PM Harlan Stenn <stenn () nwtime org
<mailto:stenn () nwtime org>> wrote:

   It's not clear to me that there's anything *wrong* with using the
   pool,
   especially if you're using our 'pool' directive in your config file.

The one time I relied on the pool I lost sync a year later when all
three servers the configuration picked withdrew time services and the
still-running ntp client didn't return to the names to find new ones.
Wonderful if that's fixed now but the pool folks argued just as
strongly for using it back then.

Also, telling the security auditor that you have no idea who supplies
your time source is pretty much a non-starter. You can convince them
of a lot of things but you can't convince them it's OK to have no idea
where critical services come from.

That's what's wrong with the pool.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com
<mailto:herrin () dirtside com>  bill () herrin us <mailto:bill () herrin us>

I have only ever used the pool as a supplement to other servers. Here is
a snippet from ntp.conf that was found in the bottom of a locked filing
cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying
'Beware of the Leopard.’ *

   #External Time Synchronization Source Servers
   #
   servertick.usno.navy.mil# open access
   servertime.apple.com <http://time.apple.com># open access
   serverTime1.Stupi.SE# open access
   serverntps1-0.uni-erlangen.de <http://ntps1-0.uni-erlangen.de># open
   access
   server0.pool.ntp.org <http://0.pool.ntp.org># open access
   server1.pool.ntp.org <http://1.pool.ntp.org># open access
   server2.pool.ntp.org <http://2.pool.ntp.org># open access

I recommend you replace the above 3 lines with:

pool CC.pool.ntp.org

where CC is an appropriate country code or region.

--
   servernist1-nj2-ustiming.org <http://nist1-nj2-ustiming.org># open
   access

I have not kept up with pool changes since then.

*Apologies to Douglas Adams

--
Harlan Stenn, Network Time Foundation
http://nwtime.org - be a Member!

Harlan,

That is good advice.

Company($dayjob) no longer exists, but I will remember your advice next time I configure 4 or more Mac minis as an NTP
peer group in my home office lab — I let the last configuration lapse as keeping up with Apple hardware and macOS
changes was challenge enough and I no longer supported Network Time Services for any $dayjob or client.

The only other note is that, for Company($dayjob), I obtained explicit permission from each of a set of globally
distributed time services (not shown above). I recommend that any new NTP peer group be configured with as diverse a
set of servers as possible, not limited to just pool and not limited to a single connection type.

Thank you.

        Jim
-
James R. Cutler
James.cutler () consultant com
GPG keys: hkps://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net