nanog mailing list archives

Re: This DNS over HTTP thing

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2019 09:32:23 -0400

On Oct 1, 2019, at 9:22 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer () nic fr> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 01, 2019 at 12:11:32PM +0200,
Jeroen Massar <jeroen () massar ch> wrote
a message of 101 lines which said:

- Using a centralized/forced-upon DNS service (be that over DoT/DoH
or even plain old Do53

Yes, but people using a public DNS resolver (of a big US corporation)
over UDP is quite an old thing and nobody complained. I really wonder
why there was so little reaction against OpenDNS or Google Public DNS
and suddently a lot of outcry against DoH…

I get people not wanting to use 8.8.8.8 1.1.1.1 4.2.2.1 or even their local DNS resolver because various people have
tried to treat it as a revenue stream at times.  There needs to be more middle ground here than people have drawn with
their battle lines.

Noting that many ISPs are deploying both DoT and DoH next to Do53.

Fact-checking: could you name some? (I do not know even one.)

I’ve gone and enabled DoTLS on my server and (wow, the number is finally non-zero!) haven’t seen a lot of TLS adoption.
 I see a lot more IPv6 than TLS at my authority server.

num.edns=433691276
num.ednserr=96
num.udp=299934993
num.udp6=154946379