nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPAM recommendations

From: Mehmet Akcin <mehmet () akcin net>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2019 23:52:16 +0900

Thanks for confirming. This is exactly what I think.

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 23:47 Mel Beckman <mel () beckman org> wrote:

I agree with Phil, Netbox is a great opens source IPAM project. We
currently use ManageEngine, but I plan to switch to Netbox when our current
license is up for renewal. NetBox. The project is supported by Digital
Ocean, which is the kind of corporate sponsorship that keeps open source
project from dying out.

It’s one of the few IPAM products that recognizes that IP addresses can be
assigned to interfaces on a device, not necessarily the device itself. It
also supports interfaces having multiple IP addresses. Netbox uses Postgres
under the covers, which has IP addresses as a native data type. That means
you can also build your own SQL queries to interface with other systems.

The tool is not frilly, but has all the features an IPAM should have for
accurate and timely resource management. Plus the code looks clean.

 -mel