nanog mailing list archives

Re: Apple Catalina Appears to Introduce Massive Jitter - SOLVED! - Update!

From: Dan Halperin via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2020 13:34:19 -0800

FWIW, in this really interesting read
<https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2020/12/an-ios-zero-click-radio-proximity.html>
about
the latest vulnerability released by Project Zero, they talk about AWDL and
how if this is in use (AirDrop enabled?) then you're going to get tons of
jitter/packet loss.

In this way [TDM hopping between Wi-Fi Access Point and AWDL Mesh] the
device can appear to be connected to the access point whilst also
participating in the AWDL mesh at the same time. Of course, frames might be
missed from both the AP and the AWDL mesh but the protocols are treating
radio as an unreliable transport anyway so this only really has an impact
on throughput. A large part of the AWDL protocol involves trying to
synchronize the channel switching between peers to improve throughput.

Dan

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 2:30 PM dc () darwincosta com <dc () darwincosta com>