nanog mailing list archives

Re: 5G roadblock: labor

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2020 14:49:22 -0500

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 2:21 PM Mike Hammett <nanog () ics-il net> wrote:

Right. I didn't want to spend too much of my time delving into any and all situations where it'll vary.

ok, fair enough :)

I wonder how much the sub 1 GHz penetrates the buildings anyway if the transmitter is at the street.

5G won't solve the building penetration without entering the building, which 4G could do just as well.

the local folk have been pimping the idea that: "hey, just run a
4g/lte/g5 cell service inside your building/business, backhaul over
cable-modem/etc and jam on..."
of course there's 'someone' who sells the cellular + backhaul kit,
this is only workable on <700mhz?> frequencies (maybe 'band 3' ?? or
something) and so far hasn't really taken off as near as I can tell.

again, it SOUNDS like an interesting business model... :)