nanog mailing list archives

Re: Reminiscing our first internet connections (WAS) Re: akamai yesterday - what in the world was that

From: bzs () theworld com
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 18:08:44 -0500

From: Ben Cannon [mailto:ben () 6by7 net]
I started what became 6x7 with a 64k ISDN line.   And 9600 baud
modems…

Pah! Luxury!

When *I* were a lad we had to touch the wires with our tongues to tell
one from zero, no job for a sissy lemme tell you. And don't talk to me
about bandwidth. You could increase it easily enough by wiring up other
body parts, but it was hard to keep the staff.

You had ones?! We couldn't afford them, we had to guess from the time
delays between zeros.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs () TheWorld com             | http://www.TheWorld.com