nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP route hijack by AS10990

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 15:59:51 +0200

On 30/Jul/20 19:44, Tom Beecher wrote:
It's not like there are scorecards, but there's a lot of fault to go
around.

However, again, BGP "Optimizers" are bad. The conditions by which the
inadvertent leak occur need to be fixed , no question. But in
scenarios like this, as-path length generally limits impact to "Oh
crap, I'll fix that, sorry!." Once you start squirting out more
specifics, you get to own some of the egg on the face.

For about a year or so, I've been saying that the next generation of
network engineers are being trained for a GUI-based point & click world,
as opposed to understanding what protocols and CLI do.

There is no shortage of annual workshops that teach BGP Multi-Homing.

Despite the horror BGP optimizers have displayed in recent years, they
seem to be flying off the shelves, still. Is this a clear example of the
next generation of network engineers that we are breeding?

Mark.