nanog mailing list archives

Re: LDPv6 Census Check

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 20:51:43 +0200

On 10/Jun/20 20:29, Tim Durack wrote:
I would take either LDPv6 or SRv6 - but also need L3VPN (and now EVPN)
re-wired to use IPv6 NH.

At the moment, LDPv6 doesn't have what I call "service" support, i.e.,
l3vpn's, l2vpn's, MPLSv6-TE, mLDP, CsC, e.t.c. To be honest, I don't
mind those so much on my end because you can still run a BGP-free core
and still deliver those services.

Granted, if your goal is a single-stack MPLS-based IPv6 network, then
yes, it would be good for LDPv6 to support the "services".

But if it's just vanilla MPLSv6 switching you're after, then LDPv6 will
do just fine.

I have requested LDPv6 and SRv6 many times from Cisco to migrate the
routing control plane from IPv4 to IPv6

Well, according to them, SRv6 is winning customers over, and nobody
wants LDPv6. Then again, they have LDPv6 in IOS XR; figures.

I have lots of IPv6 address space. I don't have a lot of IPv4
address space. RFC1918 is not as big as it seems. Apparently this is
hard to grasp...

(This is primarily IOS-XE - can't afford the IOS-XR supercars)

LDPv6 must be a business case :-). Well, wonder how they sell so many
CGN's, then :-).

Mark.