nanog mailing list archives

Re: COVID-19 vs. our Networks

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2020 21:07:45 +0200

On 15/Mar/20 20:11, Owen DeLong wrote:
I can top that. I was at a Data Center Real Estate conference some years back when virtualization was all the rage.

Admittedly, a lot of the people present (including this guy) were real-estate types, not technical,

“Eventually, we’ll even be able to virtualize the machines and the network and we won’t need all these datacenters
and the amount of power required will be much less.”

Kid you not… He literally thought we could virtualize away all of the physical infrastructure.

Hehehe - that's not entirely unbelievable. Although it gave me a good
knee-tap :-).

#WhenTheInternetMakesYouThinkYouCanFly

Mark.