nanog mailing list archives

Re: plea for comcast/sprint handoff debug help

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2020 12:09:02 -0800

really?  could you be exact, please?  turning an optional protocol off
is not a 'failure mode'.
I suppose it depends on how you think you are serving the data.
If you thought you were serving it on both protocols, but 'suddenly'
the RRDP location was empty that would be a failure.

not necessarily.  it could merely be a decision to stop serving rrdp.
perhaps a security choice; perhaps a software change; perhaps a phase
of the moon.

One of my points was that it appeared that the software called 'bad
tls cert' (among other things I'm sure) a failure, but not 'empty
directory' (or no diff file). It's possible that ALSO 'no diff' is
considered a failure

what the broken client software called what is not my probem.  every
http[s] server in the universe is not necessarily an rrdp server.  if
the client has some belief, for whatever reason, that it should be is
a brokenness.

I don't think alex is wrong in stating that 'ideally the operator
monitors/alerts on health of their service'

i do.  i run clients.

My suggestion is that checking the alternate transport is helpful.

as i do not see rrdp as a critical service, after all it is not mti,
but i am quite aware of whether it is running or not.  the problem is
that rotinator seems not to be.

randy