nanog mailing list archives

Re: 100G over 100 km of dark fiber

From: Ariën Vijn via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2020 22:27:09 +0100

Hi Jared,

4x25Gbit/s, 'directly detected' MAY work but it won't be easy at all. As many already have suggested, coherent
detection will give you much much less headaches.

If you want to go with directly detected for financial reasons than first make sure you know the type(s) of fibers and
the dispersion you can expect. Fiber-operators tend to splice different types of fiber together. Don't just assume that
it will be all G.652 compatible fiber.

If there is G.655 or even G.653 compatible fiber in your path then it is unlikely that you can operate in the O-band
(1310nm).

In that case you need to go with the C-band (1550nm), which is easier to amplify than the O-band, because you can use
commonly available EDFAs.

You probably need to compensate the chromatic dispersion in the C-band. For that it is again very important to know the
fiber type(s) in your path.Because a '100km DCM', assumes 100km G.652 fiber. If your path consists of 50km G.652 and
50km G.655 then you need to compensate for 50km.

Last but not least, your hardware or optics probably need to be able to do FEC to get a bit of a decent BER.

-- Ariën