nanog mailing list archives

Re: "Tactical" /24 announcements

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 08:01:35 +0200

On 8/12/21 19:57, Jon Lewis wrote:

Yeah...changes to the network could suddenly run such a box out of FIB resources, and you could easily be wrong when predicting how much longer a box has for it's "full routes" days...but the alternatives are "don't do full routes" or replace the box much sooner. In that respect, it's somewhat remarkable that Arista even developed the feature.  "We can sell them newer hardware with larger FIB capabilities, or offer a software update that extends the life of the gear they've already bought."  What company chooses the latter? :)

There was a time when vendors were actually ran by engineers :-).

I recall asking for the feature from Cisco around 2011/2012, for the ME3600X/3800X, and that's how it arrived. The team developing that breed of box were excited about the prospect of its success, since I began working with them to develop it in 2009. So they rolled out as many features as I could help them make sense of, and BGP-SD was one of them.

The good news is it made it into IOS XE, and became available for a ton of other platforms, the ASR920 included.

Nowadays, one wonders who's actually running the show at vendor-land...

Mark.