nanog mailing list archives

Re: Newbie Questions: How-to monitor/control unauthorized uses of our IPs and DNS zones?

From: "Valdis Klētnieks" <valdis.kletnieks () vt edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 16:48:15 -0400

On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 01:32:16 +0700, Pirawat WATANAPONGSE via NANOG said:

1. How-to monitor whether some outsiders are putting our IP addresses into
their A/AAAA records without me knowing about it?

So some bozo sticks an entry in their DNS that says

bozo-entry.example.com   A  your.ip.address.here

Who cares? What problem does this cause?

You'd never even know it unless somebody/something actually *uses*
the DNS record - which will result in traffic to the address.  And at that
point, you usually don't care what DNS entry was used, except for the
case of a webserver serving multiple names and using different TLS
certificates for each name.

2. How-to monitor whether some outside websites are just ‘shells’, with
contents actually being hosted by our servers without me knowing about it?

Again - what actual problem are you trying to solve here?  If you're being used
as a cache or backend site and don't know it, you have *bigger* problems.