nanog mailing list archives

Re: Reminder: Never connect a generator to home wiring without transfer switch

From: Owen DeLong via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 11:59:21 -0700

On Aug 31, 2021, at 09:23 , Sabri Berisha <sabri () cluecentral net> wrote:

----- On Aug 31, 2021, at 2:11 AM, Forrest Christian (List Account) lists () packetflux com wrote:

Hi,

I just wish the electrical code would permit or require certain low cost things
which make temporary generator connections more likely to be safe.

For example, code requires most furnaces to be hardwired. But a furnace is one
of the first things you want on a generator in an extended winter power outage.
If instead of hardwired, the code required plug and socket connections at each
120v furnace then Joe homeowner would be more likely to run an extension cord
from his generator to his furnace instead of trying to rig up his generator
with a suicide cord.

Now I'm wondering which jurisdiction you're talking about. I live in California
in a home which was finalized in 2019. As I'm the first owner, I was there when
the inspector went up into the attic and checked my HVAC. My HVAC has a plug in
power cord running into a regular household socket (all in the attic). The
inspector didn't say a word about it and issued the occupancy permit.

My electrically powered oven is hardwired, but I guess that's because it requires
two 50amp breakers?

It only sort of looks like two 50amp breakers… In reality, it’s a “ganged” breaker that is
50A on both sides of a 220V circuit so that if either side of the circuit exceeds 50A,
it will trip both breakers and shut down both sides.

A 220V circuit in the US (or 215/230/240, varies widely from utility to utility and for
other reasons) is both hot sides. The three wires coming into your house from the
utility are the two hots from opposite ends of the secondary winding in the utility
stepdown transformer along with a center-tapped “neutral”. The neutral is (or
at least should be) tied to earth ground at exactly one place in your home (usually
inside the main breaker panel). The two “hot” sides each provide a 110V(approximately)
AC source relative to the reference (0V Neutral and Ground), but they provide that
at a phase difference of 180º. This means that the potential between the two
hot lines is (nominally) 220VAC.

Owen