nanog mailing list archives

Re: private 5G networks?

From: James Jun <james.jun () towardex com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 12:04:46 -0500

On Wed, Dec 01, 2021 at 12:23:46PM +0100, Baldur Norddahl wrote:

[ snip ]

And yes these are low bandwidth but on the other hand often stretch wifi to
the very limits on the distance between bases. I am not claiming this is
the same use case as a warehouse. I am pointing out that the argument that
a system critical implementation _must_ be based on licensed frequencies
does not hold as nothing could be more critical than a system that prevents
trains from colliding.

The public transit market of rail industry has been in discussions for a while re:
mitigation measures (such as licensed band) against possible interference on CBTC
signalling data links.  It is however a standardization issue (much like we here
in internet infrastructure continue to discuss improvements to BGP and its lingering
security issues, nothing is perfect in every industry I suppose..).

I do claim that the reason these metro train systems can boast of a very
high uptime is not that it would be especially hard to jam their wifi based
systems.

Moreover, the degree of disruption to loss of data on CBTC is further dependent upon
individual deployment cases.  One example is system falling back to ABS (non-moving
block) operation during loss of confirmations on movement authorities, with trains
continuing to run, albeit at reduced capacity.

Anyhow it has not been a serious enough issue from operational and security standpoints
to date to warrant immediate concern.  It's a standardization matter.

James