nanog mailing list archives

Re: Texas internet connectivity declining due to blackouts

From: Brandon Svec via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 11:43:22 -0800

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 11:37 AM Mel Beckman <mel () beckman org> wrote:

Either weather events are getting worse, or they aren’t.

No, nothing is so black and white.  Certainly not science.

I provided solid evidence that they are diminishing.

No, you didn't.  You shared an opinion piece written by the president of a
science denying lobbying group funded by Exxon Mobil

The truth of this issue is important to NANOG, because we build the
infrastructure that runs the Internet, and we can’t afford to waste finite
resources on alarmist claims.

That I can partially agree with.  I would say even if science is 100% wrong
about climate change and what is causing it, it is still a good
investment to prepare for the unexpected and unprecedented when it comes to
building and supporting resilient systems.

Best