nanog mailing list archives

Re: Hosting recommendations ... ?

From: Brandon Martin <lists.nanog () monmotha net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 14:59:14 -0500

On 1/19/21 1:50 PM, William Herrin wrote:
I haven't used Proxmox but from a 60 second glance through Google that
looks like you're asking for nested virtualization. If it works at
all, you'd take a double-hit on everything that wants to run in ring
0, a double-hit on virtualized I/O and a double-hit for OS overhead
making the result more than a little sluggish. Kinda has "bad idea"
written all over it.

KVM, at least, and I think Xen as well, have some features for "shunting" I/O and hypervisor calls through to the bare-metal hypervisor where possible and avoiding double processing and trampolining. It's not nearly as bad as you might think in terms of performance as long as the hardware supports it (nested page tables being the big one). The little I've played with it mostly has proven to be an administrative hassle rather than performance.

I would not recommend mixing and matching hypervisors (e.g. Xen on KVM or vice-versa), though. I'm not even sure you can do so meaningfully, though I bet someone's working on it.
--
Brandon Martin