nanog mailing list archives

RE: Layer 2 based anycast - Kind like GLBP - Research

From: Jean St-Laurent via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 07:05:57 -0400

Maybe a spine and leaf architecture could work for you.

You could install 1 server per leaf or more. I believe this could achieve high-availability and load-balancing at layer
2.

There is a kind of layer 3 overlay, but for the hosts this is transparent and it feels like a real pure layer 2.

I would go that route as it is also a very common setup these days. It scales well horizontally and no active/passive.
It’s just active/active/active/active…./active.

Jean