nanog mailing list archives

Re: Anycast but for egress

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 21:56:42 +0200

On 7/27/21 20:48, Bill Woodcock wrote:

In practice, that means that services are bound to a common shared address (an “anycast service address”) as those
services are deployed on servers in different locations.  The service address is advertised into the BGP routing
infrastructure.  Clients send packets to the service address, and the BGP routing infrastructure routes each packet on
the shortest path to its destination, without knowing that there are multiple destinations.

We use our IGP (IS-IS) for our Anycast services. We find it to be very basic, and as such, very predictable.

Of course, if you don't run your own AS for the services you provide, or operate your own backbone, this is probably not a viable option.

Mark.