nanog mailing list archives

Re: Google uploading your plain text passwords

From: "John Levine" <johnl () iecc com>
Date: 11 Jun 2021 13:18:20 -0400

It appears that William Herrin <bill () herrin us> said:
On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 9:42 AM César de Tassis Filho
<ctassisf () gmail com> wrote:
Google does not have access to your plain-text passwords in either case.

If they can display the plain text passwords to me on my screen in a
non-Google web browser then they have access to my plain text
passwords. Everything else is semantics.

I tried it in Firefox.  I can log into my Google account with my Google password
and see the saved passwords but unless Firefox is doing some impressively
sophisticated content snooping, it can't do anything with them.

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl () taugh com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",