nanog mailing list archives

Re: Can somebody explain these ransomwear attacks?

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 15:48:43 -0700

On 6/24/21 3:08 PM, Shane Ronan wrote:
A lot of the payments for Ransomware come from Insurance Companies under "Business Interruption Insurance". It in fact may be more cost effective to pay the ransom, than to pay for continued business interruption.

Of course along with paying the ransom, a full forensic audit of the systems/network is conducted. The vector for many of these attacks is via a worm triggered by someone opening an attachment on an email or downloading compromised software from the Internet. Short of not allowing email attachments or blocking Internet access, the best method is to properly train users to not click on attachments or visit "untrusted" sites, but nothing is perfect.

I wonder if this is preying off the firewall hard-on-the-outside-soft-on-the-inside? At this point I'm not sure how you can justify that because so many people are using their own equipment. It's not just the operational side of the business they can target, after all.

Mike