nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 and CDN's

From: Masataka Ohta <mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 22:33:53 +0900

Mark Tinka wrote:

That facebook poorly managed their DNS to cause the recent disaster
is an important evidence to support my point that DNS, so often, may
not be helpful for network operations against disastrous failures,
including, but not limited to, DNS failures.

Yes, but that does not mean that DNS is not valuable, or cannot be hardened.

As a person who proposed anycast DNS servers, against which facebook
operated their DNS, I'm so sure you are right.

I am certain Facebook have hardened their DNS infrastructure, and that particular failure scenario should not recur, given all the clever people there, and around them.

All I can see is that there were a lot of stupid people in facebook.

I really hope less of them still remain there.

                                                Masataka Ohta