nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 and CDN's

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 18:55:05 +0200

On 11/28/21 16:20, Jean St-Laurent via NANOG wrote:

I like to put some servers behind that scheme.

2601::443:xxxx for https servers

2601::25:xxxx for MTA servers.

2601::993:xxxx for IMAP

It gives a quick note of what is that ip even though it’s ipv6 and usually non-human readable.

Not sure what kind of scheme is use by medium/big ISP.

Do you go by zip code of the area covered or some kind of logical to help people know what is behind that ipv6 network?

We really aren't clever with IPv6 address design and assignment. The most we do is assign:

    - 1x /48 to Loopbacks for all routers.
    - /48's per PoP for infrastructure links.
    - /48's per city for /56 assignments to customers.
    - /48's per city for assignments to customers.

We don't try to co-ordinate them in a "meaningful" way that would offer visual identification. We feel that is just too much work, and that getting IPv4/IPv6 parity for day-to-day operations is a challenge in and of itself, without trying to be fancy.

Mark.