nanog mailing list archives

Re: private 5G networks?

From: Baldur Norddahl <baldur.norddahl () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 23:43:01 +0100

tir. 30. nov. 2021 23.19 skrev Tom Beecher <beecher () beecher cc>:

In my view there is no practical difference. The owner has full control of
his warehouse and it would be very illegal for any outside party to install
any device at all including unauthorised wifi devices.

 Nothing illegal about someone sitting in a parking lot next door with a
pineapple turned up to 11 that's washing out all the normal wifi spectrum.

If we are talking about wifi 6E on 6 GHz sitting in a parking lot trying to
cause harmful interference within legal limits will not successfully harm
the operation within a building, especially not if the owner has a security
perimeter. Harmful interference on purpose is not legal in any case.

It would be illegal to do that with CBRS.

On the other hand, saboteurs rarely care about legal and can easily jam
either system.

And yet, this is simply not a real problem. Did you know that a larger
number of train transit systems are controlled by WiFi? Block that WiFi
signal and the trains stop city wide. But has this ever happened?

Regards

Baldur