nanog mailing list archives

Re: What Eyeballs Did During The Facebook Nap

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 17:40:26 +0200

On 10/8/21 17:26, Tom Beecher wrote:

There is already lots of published research on social media addiction that does call it out just that strongly.

Oh no, I didn't mean that the research to link social media addiction to long-term mental harm does not exist. It's just that such research will be ignored or buried under piles of stone to never see the light of common day, so that BigCorporate can keep cashing in on our addictions.

As a practical example of life-saving research-stomping, between the US$1.5 trillion food industry, the pharmaceutical industry, the medical fraternity and the medical insurance companies, there is a reason why the globe spends US$1 billion on insulin therapy for Type 2 Diabetes. Every. Single. Day. And the research about how T2D can be successfully reversed, through diet alone, has been around for over a decade:

https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/bd/lifestyle/health-fitness/how-i-reversed-diabetes-3449528

There is a reason why that company has started going to great lengths in recent years to make it harder for outside researchers to do similar work.

Exactly my point, above.

And sadly, little young Jane + Thabo won't be looking for social media feeds on how to get their social media addiction under control.

Look, I like all this traffic, and it brings in revenue for my business. But I'm starting to wonder whether it's all worth it, if we end up creating a generation with significantly less brain function, for the first time in our evolution, less than 50, 60, 70 years from now.

Mark.