nanog mailing list archives

Re: DNS pulling BGP routes?

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 17:31:49 +0200

On 10/13/21 17:24, Masataka Ohta wrote:

The problem is that, unlike neutral transit providers, "the bits"
is biased by the CDN provider.

Then, access/retail ISPs who also want to supply their own contents,
even though they must be neutral to contents provided by neutral
transit providers, naturally refuse peering with the anti-neutral
CDN providers.

Remember that CDN providers are not neutral at all.

Well, the purpose of a network is whatever its proprietor deems it to be, and makes no false advertising about it.

A private enterprise network that carries a company's internal traffic - which may or may not interface with an external network that is interested in some or all of that traffic - would, in your eyes, be classified as not neutral, because it chooses not to use its network to provide global IP Transit?

In my mind, the word "transit" refers to carriage between two non-homogeneous points. So network A (customer) will talk to network C (content) via my network B (transit). If the traffic originates either from A or C, BUT terminates/ends inside of B, I do not consider that transit.

I'm unaware of content operators who run their own network and (promise to) provide connectivity between A and C.

Mark.