nanog mailing list archives

Re: uPRF strict more

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 13:57:02 +0200

On 9/29/21 08:03, Saku Ytti wrote:

Vast majority of access ports are stubby, with no multihoming or
redundancy. And uRPF strict is indeed used often here, but answer very
rarely if ever applies for non-stubby port.

Having said that, I'm not convinced anyone should use uRPF at all.
Because you should already know what IP addresses are possible behind
the port, if you do, you can do ACL, and ACL is significantly lower
cost in PPS in a typical modern lookup engine.

I tend to agree that ACL's will cost less in the data plane. But the only issue, if you feel either uRPF or ACL's are an option, is that for large customers who have tons of (especially dis-contiguous address space that they may not own), the potential for mistakes can happen where some space may either be missed, or incorrectly configured, when ACL's are a chosen alternative to uRPF.

Mark.