nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 woes - RFC

From: Victor Kuarsingh <victor () jvknet com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 22:35:20 -0400

On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 10:01 PM Valdis Klētnieks <valdis.kletnieks () vt edu>
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Sep 2021 16:09:26 -0400, Victor Kuarsingh said:

- Both providers provide IPv6 and delegate a prefix to the router (let's
pretend the retail staff knew enough to sell this person a consumer box
with 2x WAN interfaces)

Just to make it clear, I would love it all to work really well and by
default.  But I also look at the reality and don't over estimate how
proficient consumers will be.

So... do such boxes exist in any great quantity?

Not in great quantity.  But for the fun of it, I ran down to the local
BestBuy recently and they offered me a dual WAN router (only one type) in
stock.  So, I guess sufficient supply?

Do consumers who can't add a valid number after 'IPv' accidentally
contract for
Internet service from two different providers often? Do they intentionally
do
that often?

Likely not accidentally, but the router they showed me (will not say what
brand on this list) showed a "WAN" and "WAN/DMZ" port, so just as clear as
any other port markings for consumer grade connections.

It sounds like a sufficiently rare situation that "clueless lawyer/whatever
hires somebody with clue for 2 hours work to configure it all" is a
reasonable
solution.

Yes, I suspect that may happen. How many clueful IPv6 folks do we suspect
service this market which are available at a cost most will be willing to
pay?

regards,

Victor K