nanog mailing list archives

Re: Certificates for DoT and DoH?

From: Bjørn Mork <bjorn () mork no>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 21:03:48 +0100

Bill Woodcock <woody () pch net> writes:

Does this mean that DigiCert is the only alternative?

I assume not, but we’d already used them for other things, and they
didn’t have a problem doing it, so we didn’t shop any further.

Makes sense.  That's how I started as well.  But we are using Buypass,
and for some unknown reason they did have a problem doing it.

And do they really have this offer for ordinary users, or is this also some special
arrangement for big players only?

No, we didn’t have to do anything special, to the best of my knowledge.

Good to know.  Thanks

That does make me wonder how they verify that I'm the rightful owner of
"sites, IP addresses, common names, etc.".  In particular, "etc" :-)
Or you could ask yourself if you trust a CA with such an offer...

Yep.  DANE is the correct answer.  CAs are not.  But that’s been true
for a very long time, and people are still trying to pretend that CAs
know what’s what.

Agree 100%.

Now I'm going to ask another stupid question:  How would DANE work for
DoT/DoH?  Having TLSA records in in-addr.arpa and ip6.arpa?

Bjørn