nanog mailing list archives

Re: V6 still not supported

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 13:58:13 -0800

On 3/9/22 12:01 PM, Jay Hennigan wrote:
It's not just equipment vendors, it's ISPs. Here in Oregon, Frontier was recently acquired by Ziply. They're doing massive infrastructure work and recently started offering symmetrical gigabit FTTH. This is a brand new greenfield PON deployment. No IPv6. It took being transferred three times to reach a person who even knew what it was.

Likewise the Wave Broadband cable operator. No IPv6, no plans for it.

The big guys in my area - Charter and AT&T - can do IPv6.

But I understand that not every ISP has the talent to deploy IPv6. A lot of people simply refuse to learn new things as they get older. The smaller the company gets it can go either way: steadfast refusal to learn new things, or jumps at the chance to learn something new. The former will try to say customers don't want it or no business case to hide their knowledge gap.