nanog mailing list archives

Re: Juniper vMX Trial - fake news?

From: heasley <heas () shrubbery net>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 19:01:28 +0000

Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 01:29:41PM -0500, Matt Harris:
On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 1:23 PM Daryl G. Jurbala <daryl () introspect net>
wrote:

The last time I worked with vMX was several years ago.  The image was
outdated to the point of having to fire up an older version of VMWare to
export the two VMs so I could import them back into 6.  The
documentation barely existed.  I had to figure out which vmware adapters
corresponded to which vMX adapters.  No one really seemed to be able to
help at Juniper, even though we ended up licensing the things so we were
"real" customers of this product.

It looked a lot lot an abandoned project.  So unless something has
changed in the last few years it's not looking good.

Interesting. I haven't had an opportunity to try vMX because of its lack of
Hyper-V support, but we do run vSRX in production quite a bit including
junos versions from 17.x up to 21.x. It's kind of janky on Hyper-V but
works overall (the main issue being very very long boot times - 15+ minutes
to get up and running), but we also run it on KVM on Linux with the "vSRX3"
images, and that works a lot better. The vSRX3 images on KVM, I personally
haven't run into any issues with. The licensing costs are pretty
reasonable, too, imho.

Good luck with what you're trying to accomplish: maybe give the vSRX series
a shot if you're running on KVM.

vMX has not been abandoned; latest I have is 20.2B1, obviously not the
current relaease.  It works well on esxi, though I am not sure if this is
officially supported yet, and is no longer slow to boot or sync with the
vfpc.

afaiu, vfpc adapters are mgmt, vRE/vfpc internal, intf1 ...
vRE adapaters are mgmt, vRE/vfpx internal.

vSRX is a different animal, afaik.

Contact your sales rep for eval license if the webform isnt working.