nanog mailing list archives

Re: Yondoo provided router, has "password" as admin pw, won't let us change it

From: Eric Kuhnke <eric.kuhnke () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 14:36:22 -0800

I would hope that this router's admin "password" interface is only
accessible from the LAN side. It's not listening to the world for a login
with "password", right?  Have you port scanned its WAN interface and tried
connecting to it to see what's listening?

This is bad, yes, but not utterly catastrophic. Generally in a situation
where somebody has physical access to a home
Netgear/Linksys/TP-Link/whatever type router, they could physically push
the factory reset button and gain access to its admin interface to
reconfigure it however they wanted anyways.

I think there's a value for discussion in nanog about how to provision and
set up residential last mile services that work right, but this isn't
exactly a wider spread network operational issue unless you've discovered
thousands of CPEs that can be accessed by "password" from the outside
Internet.

On Tue, Feb 7, 2023 at 6:18 AM TACACS Macaque via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>