nanog mailing list archives

Re: Starlink routing

From: Dorn Hetzel <dorn () hetzel org>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 13:24:21 -0500

I think it's also likely that only modest, if any, WDM is required on those
links, because the goal in most cases will only be to go far enough to get
down to a ground station (excepting some low latency transatlantic use
cases I have read might be in the offing), and because the satellite RF
uplink/downlink capacities shouldn't seriously challenge the bandwidth
available on the optical links.

At least in the current case of general purpose internet access with
dynamic IP addresses, I suspect the IP of a user-terminal is related to the
ground station serving it, and there is just a parade of satellite
intermediaries, but the terminal and ground station remain fixed, so the
routing can be more of a connection oriented type.