nanog mailing list archives

Re: Seattle NANOG 88 things to see

From: Herb L <herbleong () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 18:00:42 -0700

A more eccentric attraction:
The Fremont Neighborhood Troll under the North end of the Aurora Bridge:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fremont_Troll
Tourist trapish:
Pioneer Square:  https://www.pioneersquare.org/

On Wed, May 31, 2023 at 5:00 PM William Herrin <bill () herrin us> wrote:

Howdy,

We're a couple weeks out from NANOG 88 so I thought I'd repost a list
of things I think folks with computer and engineering backgrounds
might enjoy doing up here in Seattle.

1. The Connections Museum is a must-see for telecom enthusiasts (which
I assume you are since you're attending a NANOG meeting). Six
different phone switches (some electromechanical) and a boatload of
other telecom stuff taking up a floor and a half of a "central office"
building. In good working order. You can see and, to some extent,
touch. https://www.telcomhistory.org/connections-museum-seattle/

Beware: It's only open on Sundays from 10 am to 3 pm, so if you want
to check it out, you'll have to come in early for it.

2. The monorail (https://www.seattlemonorail.com/) is a well
maintained German-engineered 1960s vision of the future. Departs from
Westlake Center about 3 blocks from the hotel. Runs to the Space
Needle and MoPop (the Museum of Popular Culture) which are also worth
seeing. Both the monorail and space needle were built for the 1962
World's Fair. Buy tickets for the Space Needle the day before. Sunset
is particularly nice.

3. Snoqualmie Falls Hydroelectric Museum and power plant
https://www.pse.com/en/pages/tours-and-recreation/snoqualmie-tours

Beware that Snoqualmie Falls is a half hour or so outside of the city.

4. Northwest Railway Museum (also near Snoqualmie Falls)
https://www.trainmuseum.org/

5.  Museum of Flight (this is Boeing's home town, so it's a high
quality aircraft museum)
https://www.museumofflight.org/

6. Pike Place Market, about 10 blocks from the hotel, is a Seattle icon.

7. Mt. Rainer, if you want to check it out, is a full-day trip: 2.5
hours to get there, 2.5 hours to get back plus the time you spend in
the
park. They finally cleared the snow from the roads last weekend so
it's open but it's too far to catch it in an afternoon. Decent odds of
getting a shirtsleeves on the snow pack picture like this one:
https://bill.herrin.us/pictures/20210627-rainier/img-20210627-145745.jpg

If you've been to Rainier before, Diablo Lake, Cascades National Park
and Washington Pass in the opposite direction are also beautiful.

Some things to know about Seattle:

* Summer weather is good weather in Seattle. Expect sunshine, mild to
warm temperatures in the day, crisp in the morning. Light if any rain.
5 am sunrise, 9 pm sunset.

* Downtown Seattle parking spaces are super-tight. If
you rent a car, get a small one.

* Seattle is -very- dog friendly. You'll encounter our generally
well-behaved canine companions on the street, in stores and possibly
even in the hotel and event venues. Pack your allergy medication if
you need it.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--