nanog mailing list archives

Re: New addresses for b.root-servers.net

From: Wes Hardaker <wjhns61 () hardakers net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 19:02:52 -0700

Matt Corallo <nanog () as397444 net> writes:

[Sorry for the delay -- this was ICANN week and I'm just getting unburied]

Perhaps make it a false responder in the last of those 9 years so that
anybody who is truly that far behind on their software updates gets
enough of a spanking to stop sending you packets. You'll have problems
repurposing the address and its subnet until folks stop sending you
DNS query packets, even if you don't respond to them.

Not a bad idea, you could also put a nice warning page up informing
them that their DNS resolver is broken and not enforcing DNSSEC while
you're at it :)

Responding to this topic specifically:

All root server operators have made a strong commitment to only serving
the DNS root as managed by IANA [1], I'm afraid this option is off the
table.  Although you could use some wiggle-ling to try and say this
principle doesn't apply to "old addresses", I would not be willing to
take that wiggle on behalf of b.root-servers.net.

[1] https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/rssac-055-07jul21-en.pdf
--
Wes Hardaker
USC/ISI