nanog mailing list archives

Re: swedish dns zone enumerator

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2023 08:13:10 -0700

I might be reading this wrong, but I don't think the point Randy was
trying to make was 'NS queries are an attack', 'UDP packets are an
attack' or 'IP packets are an attack' . I base this on the list of
queries Randy decided to include as relevant to the thesis Randy was
trying to make, instead of wholesale warning of IP, UDP or NS queries.

i was warning of an ndrek3 enumeration attack from the source netblock's
ip space

i am far from an expert in ndrek3 enumeration.  but i naïvely assume
that most tld rrs are ns so that is what they're after.  but, as you
say, that is beside the point.

randy