nanog mailing list archives

Re: transit and peering costs projections

From: Tom Beecher <beecher () beecher cc>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 12:32:48 -0400

So for now, we'll keep paying for transit to get to the others (since it’s
about as much as transporting IXP from Dallas), and hoping someone at
Google finally sees Houston as more than a third rate city hanging off of
Dallas. Or… someone finally brings a worthwhile IX to Houston that gets us
more than peering to Kansas City. Yeah, I think the former is more
likely. 😊

There is often a chicken/egg scenario here with the economics. As an
eyeball network, your costs to build out and connect to Dallas are greater
than your transit cost, so you do that. Totally fair.

However think about it from the content side. Say I want to build into to
Houston. I have to put routers in, and a bunch of cache servers, so I have
capital outlay , plus opex for space, power, IX/backhaul/transit costs.
That's not cheap, so there's a lot of calculations that go into it. Is
there enough total eyeball traffic there to make it worth it? Is saving
8-10ms enough of a performance boost to justify the spend? What are the
long term trends in that market? These answers are of course different for
a company running their own CDN vs the commercial CDNs.

I don't work for Google and obviously don't speak for them, but I would
suspect that they're happy to eat a 8-10ms performance hit to serve from
Dallas , versus the amount of capital outlay to build out there right now.