nanog mailing list archives

Re: constant FEC errors juniper mpc10e 400g

From: JÁKÓ András <jako.andras () eik bme hu>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 22:01:33 +0200

What "all the ethernet control frame juju" might you be referring
to?  I don't recall Ethernet, in and of itself, just sending stuff back and
forth.

I did not read the 100G Ethernet specs, but as far as I remember
FastEthernet (e.g. 100BASE-FX) uses 4B/5B coding on the line, borrowed
from FDDI. Octets of Ethernet frames are encoded to these 5-bit
codewords, and there are valid codewords for other stuff, like idle
symbols transmitted continuously between frames.

Gigabit Ethernet (1000BASE-X) uses 8B/10B code on the line (from Fibre
Channel). In GE there are also special (not frame octet) PCS codewords
used for auto-negotiation, frame bursting, etc.

So I guess these are not frames that you see, but codewords representing
other data, outside Ethernet frames.

András