nanog mailing list archives

Re: constant FEC errors juniper mpc10e 400g

From: Dave Cohen <craetdave () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 08:41:17 -0400

LAN PHY dominates in the US too. Requests for WAN PHY were almost exclusively for terrestrial backhaul extending off of
legacy subsea systems that still commonly had TDM-framed services. It’s been a couple of years since I’ve been in
optical transport directly but these requests were essentially non-existent after 2018 or so. OTN became somewhat more
common from 2014 onward as optical system interop improved, but actually was more common in the enterprise space as
providers would generally go straight to fiber in most use cases, and with dark fiber opex costs coming down in many
markets, I see OTN requests as winnowing here as well.

Dave Cohen
craetdave () gmail com