nanog mailing list archives

Re: IRR information & BYOIP (Bring Your Own IP) with Cloud Providers

From: Owen DeLong via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 13:55:28 -0800

Sounds like you’ve got a weird mix of route origination. Why wouldn’t you advertise to Google via BGP and have your
prefix originate from your own ASN?

Owen

On Jan 19, 2024, at 02:39, kubanowy <kubanowy () o2 pl> wrote:

Hi,
We have our own prefix assignment from ARIN. We have our infrastructure in GCP (Google Cloud Platform) where we
started using BYOIP functionality (Google advertises our IPs). We followed their recommendation with ROA
configuration in ARIN https://cloud.google.com/vpc/docs/bring-your-own-ip#live-migration-recommendations but they
don't mention if IRR (whois database) should be updated as well. I've checked with their support and they said no
additional changes need to be done there.
But currently we are in situation where ARIN's whois contains entry for our prefix with our own ASN and Google
advertised to RADb entry for our prefixes with their own ASN. When we use online tools like
https://irrexplorer.nlnog.net/ or Cisco's CrossWork Cloud (former BGPmon), they mark our prefixes due to mismatch of
ASN in those 2 databases.
We haven't observed any routing issues so far (i.e. ISP not importing our prefixes), but we aim to sort this out for
better credibility. I'm wondering what's community approach for updating whois databases when using BYOIP
functionality with Cloud providers and if there is a risk of any potential impact if we were to change information in
ARIN.
Thanks