nanog mailing list archives

Re: NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center issued a Severe (G4) Geomagnetic Storm Watch

From: Mel Beckman <mel () beckman org>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2024 22:26:10 +0000

They are identical units running the same firmware versions. The TM 1000A doesn’t give you an option for any kind of
backup syncing to NTP on the network. They are pure GPS servers; theoretically they either serve the correct time or no
time at all. So technically to give such as our time deviation would be a bug of some kind.

Unfortunately, I don’t have the actual packets received, so I can’t decode them to see if this was just bad
interpretation on the part of PRTG. Needless to say we’re watching these closely, plus all of our other GPS NTP
servers. I am dumping PCAP from the corresponding firewalls to a database, since the volume of NTP traffic is low.

 -mel