nanog mailing list archives

Re: Alien Waves

From: Brandon Martin <lists.nanog () monmotha net>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2024 23:32:12 -0400

On 5/12/24 22:11, Dave Cohen wrote:
There are some single-market/regional providers that I'm aware of currently offering spectrum, but I believe you'll be hard pressed to find others with national footprints in the US that will. Zayo and Lumen both did a bit of a will they/won't they with it for a long time, and my understanding is that neither of them currently offer it, or at least will tell you that publicly.

I engaged Zayo about some spectrum and/or a single alien wave between a couple of "nearby" regional PoPs a couple years ago and got told pretty unequivocally that, despite it being in their service catalog, productized, and even having some form of standard pricing, they did not want to actually offer it.

I doubt that's changed given my dealings with them since (which have been fine, to be clear), but I can't be 100% sure. I suspect they did at least turn up a few of them given that they went to the trouble of creating a full-fledged product for it. Maybe they found out the hassle wasn't worth it?