nanog mailing list archives

Re: On consistency and 192.0.0.0/24

From: "Jakob Heitz \(jheitz\) via NANOG" <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2024 16:21:58 +0000

RFC 5736 was obsoleted by RFC 6890.
It says in part:

2.2.1.  Information Requirements

   The IPv4 and IPv6 Special-Purpose Address Registries maintain the
   following information regarding each entry:
…
   o  Forwardable - A boolean value indicating whether a router may
      forward an IP datagram whose destination address is drawn from the
      allocated special-purpose address block between external
      interfaces.
…

That means that some IP addresses in the block 192.0.0.0/24 may be routable.
So, I would not make this a bogon.

A better way to filter IP routes is by policy, for example based upon
IRR and RPKI records.

Kind Regards,
Jakob