Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap+V

From: "Paul Tod Rieger" <prie () abl com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 09:45:41 -0400

Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org> wrote:

This is exactly why I am not sure that adding version # detection is
worthwhile.  People won't be satisfied with simple version numbers!  As
you say, they always want to probe for more info.  This is why I am
considering ONLY worrying about service protocol detection while leaving
version + application specific probes to modules that run later (or
another program entirely).

If nmap goes to the trouble of collecting banners to detect protocols, I'd
hate to throw out that info.  Maybe there could be a "verbose" option, so
the user could either:

# nmap -sS -doubleCheckProtocol
[does the above]

or

# nmap -sS -doubleCheckProtocol -printBanners
[above plus a separate listing of the banner at each port (separate like the
OS-detection info) and the result of the "GET"]

Tod
abl.com