Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: nmap-2.54b3+V-2.2 (now 2.21)

From: "Jay Freeman \(saurik\)" <saurik () saurik com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 05:22:46 -0500

Actually, I haven't :).  I got the one message from you.  The biggest reason
for that is likely that my name or my e-mail address isn't in nmap+V
anywhere except a CHANGELOG entry having to do with makefiles for 2.54BETA1.

To tell you the truth, I'm even worried about testing it, as I don't know
what that exploit code of his does, and do not have a computer to
temporarily install a test system to run nmap+V on.

I'm sitting here looking at it more carefully, and I think I see where the
problem is.  I think all versions are vulnerable :(.  I was thinking about
it wrong when I first looked at it, and assumed that it was causing problems
when I receive data, which I handle through a reallocated buffer now (and
don't remember what I did at 1.01), so that shouldn't be a problem.
However, I didn't notice that my regmatch() was callously assuming it had
all the memory in the world (well, at least as much as my reallocated
buffer), when it only had a measly 1024 characters.  I really feel silly now
:).

Re-linked the symlinks, same URLs, nmap+V-2.21, has a counter to figure out
how much memory it has left.  While building the next version I am going to
totally rewrite my regmatch() to be a little saner about how it handles
these buffers.  Also fixes a g++ compilation problem I caused right before
building the patch.

I'll work on putting together the C++ patch separately from the nmap+V patch
sometime in the next day or two (probably tomorrow when I am working on that
Solaris machine I mentioned).

Sincerely,
Jay Freeman (saurik)
saurik () saurik com