Nmap Development mailing list archives

strange results using -sT

From: "Jeff Stoner" <JStoner () blackboard com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 11:14:29 -0500

I went back through the archives but couldn't find anything on this
(btw, the web front-end to the mailing list could use a search engine
for digging into posts, but I digress...)

I started with 2.53 im RPM form and was seeing some strange error when
running nmap as non-root: Strange error from connect (13):Permission
denied.  Additionally, it was not picking up 2 open ports on the remote
machine because when I run the same command as root, it does detect the
additional 2 ports.

I downloaded 2.54BETA30, compiled and installed into its own private
directory (somewhere off /opt). No problems during the compile. Getting
the same results when run as non-root and when run as root.

The command line i'm using is:
nmap -sT 192.168.223.7 -p 1-65535 -P0 -n

The result when run as non-root:
bash$ ./nmap -sT 192.168.223.7 -n -p 1-65535 -P0

Starting nmap V. 2.54BETA30 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
Strange error from connect (13):Permission denied
Interesting ports on  (192.168.223.7):
(The 65529 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port       State       Service
22/tcp     open        ssh
80/tcp     open        http
111/tcp    open        sunrpc
1020/tcp   open        unknown
1984/tcp   open        unknown
3306/tcp   open        mysql

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 8 seconds

The result when run as root:
[root@VA1R135S6 bin]# ./nmap -sT 192.168.223.7 -n -p 1-65535 -P0

Starting nmap V. 2.54BETA30 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
Interesting ports on  (192.168.223.7):
(The 65527 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port       State       Service
22/tcp     open        ssh
80/tcp     open        http
111/tcp    open        sunrpc
723/tcp    open        unknown
1020/tcp   open        unknown
1984/tcp   open        unknown
3306/tcp   open        mysql
4660/tcp   open        unknown

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 8 seconds

I'm running this on RedHat Linux 6.2, kernel 2.4.12-mosix, libc2.1.3.

Thoughts?

-Jeff