Nmap Development mailing list archives

Banner Grabbing

From: "Sean Donner" <seand () maximus homelinux net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 05:43:09 -0700

I think the one thing that this scanner is really missing is banner grabbing.  With this option implemented into nmap,
you could scan your network and see which services are giving up too much info, telnet is espeically guilty of this. I
would imagine that this option would not be too hard to implement, although it would require a full tcp handshake and
thus toss stealth scanning out the door with this on.  A good idea would to also send a "HEAD / HTTP/1.0" command if a
timeout occured while trying to grab a banner.  Im new to this mailing list, so im not sure if this has been talked
about before but I did not see it in any of the archives.  Feedback is much appreciated. Thanks